International aviation industry – carbon emission reduction historic events.
- November 2008, EU determined on the inclusion of international aviation industry in EU carbon trading system starting at January 1, 2012.
- December 2009, the American Air Transport Association, American Airlines, Continental Airlines and United Airlines stated that EU’s “carbon tax” for aviation industry was discriminatory and filed a lawsuit.
- December 2011, the European Court of Justice ruled that the US’s lawsuit on “carbon tax” was failed.
- February 2012, representatives from 29 countries around the world issued a joint declaration, to against EU’s unilateral levy of “carbon tax” for aviation enterprise of Non-EU countries.
- November 2012, the European Commission also announced that it will continue to impose an aviation carbon tax on flights which flying within EU boundary.
- October 2016, the International Civil Aviation Organization ICAO officially announced EU’s emission reduction targets and rules for aviation industry.